25 November 2011

Random Thoughts

More unstructured little bits...

(1) There seems to be a general misunderstanding of the terms "curvy" and "voluptuous." A lot of women are using these words in place of "fat" or "overweight." I don't want to sound mean - aside from the health problems, there's nothing wrong with being overweight - but let's call a spade a spade. "Fat" = rolls, "curvy" = hourglass. There is a difference. I've seen a lot of women - trust me, I know.

Also, this is just a pet peeve, but I'm a little confused about how "voluptuous" got thrown into the mix here in the first place. Look it up: "voluptuous" means sensual/seductive/pleasurable... nothing to do with body shape.
See the difference?

And don't get on me for saying everyone should be skinny - that's not what I'm saying either. Look at Christina Hendricks. Quick online research puts her height at 5' 8" and her weight between 155 and 175, she wears a size 14 - she's not exactly tiny.

(2) While we're on the topic of language, a major pet peeve is the sudden, generational misuse of "loose." I don't know when this started happening, but it seems to be a universal problem for people under a certain age. Here's the issue: "loose" means, well, loose - the opposite of tight, free from restraint, etc. Generally, it's a descriptive term. (It can, of course, be a verb, but you rarely hear people say they "loosed" something.) All of a sudden, "loose" is being used in place of "lose" - a verb which means, well, you lost something.

It's an easy typo, so I get that, but it's being used far too often to simply be a typo; it's a mistake. A silly mistake.

(3) I don't like "Movember," or whatever it's called. I'm all for facial hair, but growing it out for cancer awareness is really stupid. Furthermore, I hate when people ask if I'll shave my beard and just wear a mustache for a month. No. What good does your mustache do prostate cancer? Doesn't it seem kind of insulting? Here's this horrible, wretched disease that hurts people and destroys lives, and you're "supporting" it with a goofy handlebar? That's not support - that's trivializing. Also, 99% of people look like child molesters when they wear a mustache.

lame

(4) I can't stand online classes. You pay hundreds of dollars and waste hours of personal time... for what? To teach yourself a subject. If you take an online class, they should at least give you the book for free. I see no rationale in paying hundreds for a class, another hundred or so for a book, and then having virtually zero (if not actually zero) interaction with a professor. I'm sure there are professors who can actually do great work in the online setting, but so far I haven't met them.

(5) Can we please wait until Thanksgiving is over before we start Christmas? I enjoy Christmas as much as the next person (okay, probably not), but one month is enough. More than enough.

(6) Will Republicans ever find a viable Presidential candidate before Election Day? Not that I'm looking for somebody to vote for, but virtually each and every one of them is a certifiable nutjob. It honestly feels surreal - like it's all some elaborate prank. If you saw a single one of these characters in a movie, you wouldn't believe it - but conservatives have about a half-dozen... at least!

The only one I have any respect for - despite disagreements - is Ron Paul. I feel like all the others are soulless bureaucrats who would do (and have done) anything to be popular. Ron Paul at least sticks to his guns.

(7) Who would have thought that the San Francisco 49ers - a team which hasn't had a winning season in about a decade - would have the second-best record in football? A strange world we live in.

(8) I can't get this song out of my head...


That's it for now. Have a good one!

3 comments:

  1. Another word you should add to that list is healthy. Healthy=Fat. How that came to happen boggles my mind. I have always preferred curvier women. And not trying to be vulgar, but sex is about touching, not looking. I heard someone on the radio recently talk about how he preferred women with some weight because having sex with someone really thin was like laying on futon springs.

    I am actually a huge Ron Paul supporter. He says what he believes and has the record to prove it. I also support limited federal government and giving states and cities more control over themselves. I voted for Obama last election, and my greatest fear was that he would be politics as usual, and voila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you - curves are sexy. Rolls are not; and, on the opposite extreme, neither are bones. For the life of me I will never understand how anyone can find the Olsen twins attractive. (1) They still look like little girls. That's sick. (2) They have no shape, unless you consider a straight line a shape. Boring.

    One last thing on this topic: I feel that everyone has a certain weight range where they look "right." For some people, that means more weight; for some people, less. Queen Latifah, for example, would just look weird if she suddenly became an Ellen Pompeo-sized waif. A huge number of people in this country are past the heavy extreme of their weight range, so they're just trying to compensate by altering the language. But they're not fooling anyone.

    I don't want to say too much about Paul because I have a huge politically related post coming up soon, so for now I'll just say that I much prefer the Libertarian party to the Republican party. Libertarians want a limited government, and they actually try to make good on that. The issues I'm not sold on are traditional libertarian economic stances. Glad you brought this up here, though - it will be nice to see your thoughts in a few days once I get that post up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these complaints. I agree!

    ReplyDelete