30 July 2013

Latest Obsession: Krav Maga

Faithful readers may recall a similar story about this time last year, when I was just starting Wing Tsun... My apologies - this entry is going to be a little redundant.

My latest phase now is Krav Maga. A few reasons: (1) Wing Tsun was simply too difficult to maintain. I started it last summer, but in the fall I was still taking night classes and working two jobs. My two-day-a-week habit dropped to one, and then maybe once a month, and then about November nothing at all. (2) While I really enjoyed getting back into martial arts, and especially the formality/technique of Wing Tsun, it was not practical by any stretch. Not that I'm looking for a fight or anything, but if anything ever does happen, I want something reliable I can count on. (3) Cost. The Wing Tsun program meets three times a week, Krav Maga offers something every day. This gives much more flexibility, and with the "student special," I wound up paying a fraction of what I would have paid to stick with the more rigid Wing Tsun schedule. Cost isn't exactly the best thing to base martial arts enrollment on, but it's definitely a factor - most schools charge between $100-$200/month, depending on how big it is. Krav Maga is costing me less than $50/month. Perfect! The stars are aligned!

But that's all background - why Krav Maga in the first place?

Krav Maga caught my attention, as it does for most people, with its utter ferocity. It doesn't have the most aesthetic look, but if you want a fighting system that can get you home safely and realistically put someone down in a hurry, it's hard to think of anything better. Krav Maga doesn't have a rich, lush history behind it, and the system is less an "art" than a hodgepodge of effective methods and techniques - a pet criticism of more traditional schools - but the results are proven. And after just a few months, I think it will be hard to go back to anything else.


The whole reason for doing any sort of martial art (at least for me) is to promote practical fitness. I can jog a couple miles, or go lift at a gym, but self-defense adds a whole new dimension... It's not just about how strong and fast you are, but how strong and fast you can be in a dangerous situation; it's just as much about strategy and willpower as it is about technique.

And it's the most intense workout I've ever had! Most days, left to my own homegrown workouts, I break a healthy sweat, but I come home from Krav Maga drenched and parched.

A typical class is effectively split into two parts: about a half-hour on drills and aerobics (lots of burpees, sit-ups, and push-ups, offset with various "combatives" - punches, knees, elbows), followed by a half-hour of actual techniques (disarming, specific defenses, etc). The whole philosophy is to break you down so you can keep fighting even while exhausted. And it works. After a couple months, I can survive the classes better, but I also maintain better stamina outside, like during a jog or normal workout routine.

It's been a lot of fun. I'm actually a little bummed that I won't be able to do it (doubtful anyway, considering the school schedule) next year.

That's about it. Forgive my propagandist ranting. As penance, another video!


Isn't this guy just ridiculous?

2 comments:

  1. Sold! I will need to practice up before I attack you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Wouldn't worry too much, I get tossed around pretty handily.

    ReplyDelete