22 December 2012

Gun Control: An Honest Discussion

As I've done a number of times on potentially controversial entries, I'll start here with a Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be incendiary or offensive for the sake of being offensive. This entry is not unlike any other - an earnest inquiry from a mind grappling with certain issues. My intention is to have an honest, frank discussion about firearms, their problems and benefits, and the issue of gun control at large.

It's no secret, I'm somewhat of a liberal. Not a bleeding heart, not a tree-hugger, but when it comes to the "big" issues (ie, most social and economic issues), I tend to side more often with the left than the right. Not that the left is not without its own problems, but more often than not, that's where I stand.

That said, I feel I can speak pretty honestly from a more conservative viewpoint. The vast majority of my family is conservative (extremely conservative, in some cases), my parents are fairly middle-line, and the area I grew up in is about as smalltown conservative as they come... Not to generalize, but I can pretty well understand the conservative mindset.

(Also, let me say at the outset: as with most things, I want to keep this fairly intellectual and idealistic; I'm not looking for appeals to emotion, negative or positive. I lost my sister to a terrible gun tragedy, so for reasons I think you can understand, I'd rather not go down that road... not here on the Internet, anyway. Let's keep things civil and on-topic.)

So, without further ado, let's have at it...


Guns: What's the Deal?
Let's start with the basics: I'm not a gun guy. I've never owned one, do not ever plan to own one, and have held one/maybe two actual guns in my whole life, and even then fired only one shot (a pathetic attempt to hit a "skeet")... But do not think I am anti-gun (more on that below) - I simply do not desire one, and no one in my family does either. Just that simple.

Obviously, not everyone feels the same way. Some people take comfort in owning a gun. It provides them a feeling of protection which is sorely lacking from other defensive measures. Some people use them for hunting. Some people collect them. Some people just like them. And there's nothing wrong with that.

No serious solution to gun violence would involve banning guns. As gun owners are wont to say, "Guns don't people; people kill people." An oversimplification (the platitude fails to take into consideration accidental gun deaths), but there's truth to that.

What is the solution, then? Or rather, before we get ahead of ourselves, what's the problem? ...Is there a problem?

Perhaps surprisingly, I (and I suspect a lot of other people) would say that gun violence on the whole is not a big issue, this year's mass shootings notwithstanding. Most gun owners are law-abiding, responsible citizens, and (believe it or not) gun violence and violent crime in general are on the decline... and have been for some time. (Some fascinating statistics here.)

But let's not paint a false picture: though some are perhaps too quick to cry for strict restrictions or even outright banning, even in the best scenario things are not perfect. Guns by their very nature are machines of violence. That's not an attack, it's simply a fact: guns were invented for large scale, efficient killing... This is what irks me about those arguments which draw comparisons between gun control and drunk driving - ie, gun restrictions are akin to punishing sober drivers for the irresponsibility of drunk drivers. There's a world of difference! (First, really look at the analogy: drunk drivers are being compared to murderers. That right there should be evidence enough for you to abandon the analogy. Drunk driving deaths are terrible, but they are not intentional.)



Gun Control: What to Do
People have the right to own firearms. I get that. And I'm perfectly fine with that, but let's be honest - we can do better than this. Right? Isn't the point of any society to strive toward its ideals? And shouldn't we ideally live in a peaceful world? Naive, certainly, maybe unattainable, but it's a goal. Here's a thought exercise: picture your perfect world. Try not to be pessimistic or cynical - your perfect world... Are there guns? Is there death? If so, maybe you should aim a little higher.

I'm no politician, and I fully welcome any gun-owning readers to correct me, but what follows are some ideas/solutions that I think might help... Not solve (I don't know that we'll ever be without gun violence), but help.

(1) Obvious stuff - background checks, keeping guns out of the hands of convicted criminals/mentally ill, waiting periods, etc - should be mandatory.

(2) Graduated licensing... This is my alternative to an assault weapons ban. People cannot even agree on the term "assault weapon" - let's remove the semantics by introducing graduated licensing. Similar to graduated driver's licenses, a graduated gun owner's license would simply mean that the longer you've been a gun owner, the fewer restrictions you would have on future gun purchases. Say, for instance, that for the first two years you can only own a revolver (or some sort of low-capacity, long-reload weapon), then after that you can "graduate" to a rifle, and so on. Like I said, I'm not a gun guy, so the details could be hammered out by people with the proper experience, but I like the idea.

As anyone who's done his homework is fully aware, most mass shootings are done with legally purchased weapons. What a graduated license would help prevent (at least in theory) is the man who plots out a mass killing, and then goes about exacting his plan by legally buying up everything he needs. Is the plan perfect? Of course not - there is the obvious possibility of someone planning a mass killing and then waiting the requisite years rather than months - but the lengthy wait is a deterrant.

(3) Required training classes... Again, this could be similar to drivers' education. If "required" training for everyone is too much to ask, what if we decreased the wait time for those who've taken the training course? The whole idea behind this, again, is to keep guns out of the hands of those who are acting hastily, or at the very least, to slow them down.

(4) Annual certification... Basically, this whole list is modeled after the DMV, haha. I don't know what it takes to get a gun license, much less what it takes to prevent one from expiring. But I think an annual eye test and perhaps a practical (ie, you know how to properly disassemble/reassemble, clean, etc) might be a good idea. The idea for this one is to encourage responsible gun ownership, as I'm sure the vast majority of gun owners do these things already (though they probably substitute the shooting range for an eye exam).

(5) A universal ban on high-capacity, rapid-fire weapons, unless you've had requisite training/licensing... I realize this is extremely unlikely, which is why it's listed lower than the others, but I really don't understand why a civilian would need a military-grade weapon. I know hunters - you don't go hunting with an AR15. You can defend yourself just as well with something less conspicuous... So why do these need to bought by regular people? Simply because they can? Maybe a gun owner can explain this one to me because I just don't get it.


Concluding Thoughts
That's all I got. It's not much, but I really just wanted to open up a dialogue and put a few ideas out there. As always, I welcome criticism, corrections, and the further exchange of ideas. That's the wonderful thing about this country - we can talk about anything. Let's take advantage of that opportunity.

...And, lest you think me complete naive and short-sighted, a word to those who jump up and say, "Criminals will always find a way around the law" - Yes, you're absolutely right. If someone is bound and determined to hurt others, nothing will stop him. Even if guns never existed, he'd use a knife... he'd use a rock... he'd use his bare hands... and so on. Some people simply want to hurt people, and there's little we can do to stop that.

What we can do, however, is make it more difficult for them to hurt people. (Again, analogies: you can kill someone with a rock, certainly, but not nearly as easily, and not nearly as quickly. It's hard to commit a mass killing with a rock, or even a knife for that matter.) That's the whole reason we have laws - to restrict, deter, or otherwise slow those who would hurt or exploit others. Very little to do with those who follow the law.

Violence will continue to happen. I get that. But I don't think the solution is to simply throw up our hands and say, "Well - that's just the way it is!" We have to do something. And if we fail, then we try something else... and something else... and something else. Social well-being is up to us. It's our cross to bear. The whole point of this entry is not to go on some anti-gun rant because (as I hope you noticed) I'm really not anti-gun; I'm pro-responsibility. And what I hope we can do is foster an environment of responsibility and accountability, and hopefully that can help prevent future tragedies from happening.

4 comments:

  1. [QUOTE](1) Obvious stuff - background checks, keeping guns out of the hands of convicted criminals/mentally ill, [B]waiting periods[/B], etc - should be mandatory.[/QUOTE]
    How is a waiting period going to stop illegal use of a gun? Background check issues have been highlighted, we need a better DB and integration between state/fed for them to really be effective.
    [QUOTE](2) Graduated licensing... This is my alternative to an assault weapons ban. People cannot even agree on the term "assault weapon" - let's remove the semantics by introducing graduated licensing. Similar to graduated driver's licenses, a graduated gun owner's license would simply mean that the longer you've been a gun owner, the fewer restrictions you would have on future gun purchases. Say, for instance, that for the first two years you can only own a revolver (or some sort of low-capacity, long-reload weapon), then after that you can "graduate" to a rifle, and so on. Like I said, I'm not a gun guy, so the details could be hammered out by people with the proper experience, but I like the idea.

    As anyone who's done his homework is fully aware, most mass shootings are done with legally purchased weapons. What a graduated license would help prevent (at least in theory) is the man who plots out a mass killing, and then goes about exacting his plan by legally buying up everything he needs. Is the plan perfect? Of course not - there is the obvious possibility of someone planning a mass killing and then waiting the requisite years rather than months - but the lengthy wait is a deterrant.
    [/QUOTE]
    Makes no sense whatsoever, if I want a gun for hunting only a revolver would be useless. In a self defense situation a rapid reload weapon is better than a slow reload (unless you are an expert marksman somehow). A better way would be requiring more training to use more powerful weapons but that still wouldn't do much for illegally obtained guns.
    [QUOTE](3) Required training classes... Again, this could be similar to drivers' education. If "required" training for everyone is too much to ask, what if we decreased the wait time for those who've taken the training course? The whole idea behind this, again, is to keep guns out of the hands of those who are acting hastily, or at the very least, to slow them down.[/QUOTE]
    This is pretty much the case already.
    [QUOTE](4) Annual certification... Basically, this whole list is modeled after the DMV, haha. I don't know what it takes to get a gun license, much less what it takes to prevent one from expiring. But I think an annual eye test and perhaps a practical (ie, you know how to properly disassemble/reassemble, clean, etc) might be a good idea. The idea for this one is to encourage responsible gun ownership, as I'm sure the vast majority of gun owners do these things already (though they probably substitute the shooting range for an eye exam).[/QUOTE]
    Might prevent some accidents doesn't really make much sense otherwise

    [QUOTE](5) A universal ban on high-capacity, rapid-fire weapons, unless you've had requisite training/licensing... I realize this is extremely unlikely, which is why it's listed lower than the others, but I really don't understand why a civilian would need a military-grade weapon. I know hunters - you don't go hunting with an AR15. You can defend yourself just as well with something less conspicuous... So why do these need to bought by regular people? Simply because they can? Maybe a gun owner can explain this one to me because I just don't get it.[/QUOTE]
    It doesn't much matter, mags take all of a second to switch so whether you have 10 rounds in 2 clips or 5 in 4 makes little difference to your target. Also rapid-fire weapons are already banned, semi-auto is as rapid as you can squeeze it but so is a pump or a bolt action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. prizrak - thank you for your thoughtful comments. Nice to have some thoughts from someone with obviously much more experience when it comes to guns.

    (1) Waiting periods in and of themselves will not stop illegal use. The idea is that it should at least help deter crimes of passion. Obviously, it's not foolproof, but I don't see too many valid arguments against it.
    (2) Thanks for bringing this up. Like I said, I'm not a gun guy, so actually implementing any of this would certainly be ill-advised, and would likely have little impact. I like your idea that more training should be required for higher power weapons.
    (3) Thank you for the correction. Wasn't sure.
    (4) I think this would be more useful than you're letting on. Okay, as far as saving lives and preventing harm - you're right, wouldn't make much difference. But I think it would be very helpful to encourage responsible ownership, which is the greatest harbinger of gun safety.
    (5) I think this was more a social curiosity than anything. I don't understand the mentality of someone who wants to own an assault weapon. I know people who want to build their own AK47s, AR15s, etc - I just don't get it. You don't need to hunt with that, you don't need that much firepower to adequately protect yourself - just don't get it.

    Thanks again for your comment. Hope to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't hunt with an AR15? Maybe you don't, but a lot of people do.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=deer+taken+with+ar15+photo&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oOMXUfm6CJPF0AGrkoC4BA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1532&bih=822

    Don't use an AR15 for self-protection? A lot of folks do. Even our own federal Department of Homeland Security claims in their bid specifications that they are "suitable for personal defense".

    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=serp&gs_mss=dhs%20orders%207&pq=deer%20taken%20with%20ar15%20photo&cp=20&gs_id=26&xhr=t&q=dhs+orders+7000+ar15&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=dhs+orders+7000+ar15&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=b116c7e5d8f31a71&biw=1532&bih=822

    Are there any other rights enumerated in the federal Constitution that you would agree that the average citizen be licensed to practice? Please elaborate, as I'm curious if one should have to pass a test before they insist that the government not quarter tropps in their home, or perhaps carry a permit before one can expect to be free from unreasonable searches & seizures, or how about having to pay a fee to the Mayor's office before one can practice the religion of their choice?

    I'm waiting to hear your response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your response, Ancient Woodsman. Not sure how I feel about the mocking tone, but you bring up some legitimate points.

    Your primary complaint seems to be with my closing comment about the AR15 for protection/sport. Let me reiterate something here: I am not calling for a ban on guns. I have no problem with responsible gun ownership, nor do I even have a problem with anyone owning something like an AR15 persay... I just personally don't understand it. Can people own them? Yes. Do they use them? I hope so. I'm saying that I personally don't see the need for a tactical/military-style weapon if it's not being used for that purpose.

    Now, more specifically... We do not have unrestricted rights. Maybe in a perfect world, but it is not the case now, nor has it ever been. You cannot say whatever you want whenever you want: language is regulated, expression is regulated. You can gather/assemble/protest, but almost always have to file various forms/paperwork (unless your "gathering" is very small); and even then, can only do so in designated spaces and (usually) designated times. (You cannot legally gather on someone else's private property, for instance, without their permission.) Even religion is regulated to a point - you cannot legally perform a ritual which infringes upon or violates the rights of another individual (say, for instance, your religion tells you to stone homosexuals/prostitutes - obviously you can't do that)... And these are "rights" which almost never cause physical harm to anyone. It follows, then, that gun rights need to be more carefully defined and regulated to ensure general welfare and safety.

    So let's be realistic here. I'm not saying we regulate everything - let's not put words in each other's mouths - but we have to have clear definitions and limits to peaceably live in any sort of realistic community. The measures I'd proposed were merely ideas/suggestions that I thought might work, at least theoretically. User prizrak brought up valid criticisms/problems, and you have done the same. I'm no expert, obviously not a politician - merely a concerned citizen who refuses to believe that we simply do nothing and carry on with the status quo, when things are headed in the wrong direction. Are my suggestions cure-alls? Certainly not. The idea is to encourage an atmosphere of responsible ownership: a number of these things are already practiced by many gun-owners (few people start right off with something like the AR15, for instance, but prizrak made a good point that it is unrealistic to require revolvers first for aspiring hunters), but obviously there are issues to clear up.

    Thank you for your comment; I look forward to your reply.

    ReplyDelete