30 September 2011

Night Shift: Part I

At seventeen, I was convinced I could make it as an independent filmmaker. No matter what, I told myself, I'll do it; it won't be easy, maybe I'll put myself into debt for a while, but I'll do it... was anyone so naive?

About midway through the senior year of my undergraduate film degree, I started to realize something: I'll never do this for a job. It would be nice, but let's be realistic - to make it in film (as in to make a living), you need at least two of three independent conditions, though most successful filmmakers get all three: (a) extreme dedication; (b) a modicum of talent; and (c) an extreme amount of luck. I had a little talent, but no luck, and no hard dedication. I loved movies and had a lot of fun making them in school, but filmmaking didn't define me; I didn't have to do it, I just liked doing it. I finished up the bachelor's anyway, assuming it was better to have a degree than no degree.

So then I had to ask myself, Well, what do I want to do? That question has taken nearly four years to answer. For a while I just put it off, thinking I could still make a living somehow with my little film degree. Then, like all uncertain liberal arts majors, I thought, Ah ha! I'll go to grad school! ... Thankfully, though, this idea was squelched almost as soon as it occurred because - let's be honest - what do you do with a graduate degree in film, other than teach film? Not much. So after all that I finally realized I had to look outside my area of study... but where should I look? I bounced around to several possibilities: MBA, MFA, move away and start over completely - for a long time I thought of being a cop. It was ill-advised (looking back, I convinced myself it was a good idea because it didn't require any additional schooling, paid decently, and provided job security, but I'm not suited for it personality-wise and was most interested in detective work, which would have taken years), but it did motivate other areas of my life. For instance, until I started applying to be a police officer, I was a 6', 125 lb. weakling who could barely run a mile; after months of dedicated exercise and a complete diet change, I became a 6', 155 lb. weakling who could barely run two miles.

 It took me a while, but I finally bit the bullet to get back into school. Basically a matter of priorities. One of the first things I told myself when I was figuring out what I wanted to do was that I didn't want anything to do with business. I'd worked in retail/customer service-type areas for over a decade, and the one thing I firmly decided was that I didn't want any job or career where the sole purpose was how much money I made for a company that already had too much money. I took a detour in law enforcement before finally settling on health care, a much better fit. The chance to help people, really help people is the biggest draw, but also I get to learn new things, challenge myself physically and mentally, and there is always something different and interesting going on. Just the other day I observed a tracheostomy. An immensely positive atmosphere.

All of which brings me to where I am now. Engaged, living in a Chicago suburb, working 40+ hours a week all while studying to become a Physician Assistant. If you told me five years ago that I would be working the night shift at a hospital in Illinois while taking classes like Anatomy/Physiology and Organic Chemistry, I would have said you were crazy. But that's what happened. And you know something? It's better that way.

Just don't hold it against me if I look like I belong on the set of a George A. Romero movie.

3 comments:

  1. I remember my first hospital clinical where I got to watch a angioplasty. Very fascinating. You never know where life is going to take you. I sometimes wish I would have taken music more seriously when I was a kid. When my hair gets long and poofy, I have the perfect look for an eccentric conductor. Glad to see you are finding a career that fits. Being a PA is a good job. Much better than a PA in the film world, anyway.

    I have to say I chuckled a bit when I realized that this blog, much like you last one, has essentially turned into a conversation between the two of us. I'm sure your readership will improve as time goes on, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your readership increases!!!

    I like you better crazy. I just wish you got more sleep. It seems that you really have found your purpose because you sure as heck wouldn't be zombie-Jacob for any other job.

    As long as you love it and crave it, keep it up. I, for my part, will roll up my sleeves and do the dishes...I guess. Or maybe just the dusting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave - That is the truth. I never would have expected this life, but I'm loving it. Things "fit." I avoided the coasts because I didn't want to be a perpetual PA, yet here I am seeking a different job with the same initials - it's a crazy world. And the comparison between this blog and the last isn't lost on me - I've been thinking the same thing, at least until...

    Kate - Welcome to my little world! Huzzah! I wish I got more sleep too. These last few months have been exciting, but boy have they been hard on my body. Near constant exhaustion. Such is the life. Just got to keep pushing forward - then we can buy a condo for the pup and a house for us.

    ReplyDelete